Wednesday, February 10, 2010

February 14, 2010

Comments4Kids
I read Bitten! by Bradley and Mason from a 5th grade class in England. As I commented on their blog, I found their story very descriptive. They vividly described a spider bite and the feelings the character was having. It left you wanting to know what happened next. The students used some excellent describing words. I would love to see them continue on with their story.

Can Wikipedia be a Trusted Source of Information?
I have asked myself this question many times. I didn't know a lot about Wikipedia until recently and still don't. I recall first accessing Wikipedia and realizing anyone could go in and edit information. I immediately questioned its reliability. Who's to say the information is correct if anyone can go in and change information? Just my opinion, but I think one needs to read between the lines. I would definitely not allow Wikipedia to be the only source of information. Research other online encyclopedias. If you're using Wikipedia for general information or just for fun then, fine. No need to look up other sources unless you're curious or you question the reliability. If you want to be sure, you're best to look for other sources. I would not rely on Wikipedia as the only source.
Will Wikipedia ever change its policy? I think so, in time. If not, this editing of information will get out of hand, if it hasn't already. I believe if they do not change, people will catch on and realize information is not what it seems. They will quit using Wikipedia as a reliable source and go elsewhere. As educators, we should teach our students not to rely on one encyclopedia site and research many sites. Let them know the sites like Wikipedia can be edited by anyone and the reliability could be questioned.

Mr. McClung's What I've Learned This Year
Mr. McClung shares his experiences as a first year teacher in Missouri. He wrote of initially being worried more about how his supervisors assessed him rather than concentrating on student needs. I think many first year teachers can relate to this, as I have. He wrote of planning the perfect lesson and "beating himself up over lessons and activities that did not go well". He learned to let it go and try to work with it to better the situation. I, too, can recall planning the "perfect" lesson and it would turn out to be a total flop. In some situations I would just stop the lesson and either modify it or go back and do the normal routine lesson.
Mr. McClung also wrote of teacher expectations and how sometimes we set too high of expectations only to be let down and possibly scolding the student. He wrote of building rapport with your fellow teachers, not being afraid of technology, listening to your students and as educators, never stop learning. What an excellent way to reflect on your first year of teaching by writing your experiences in a blog. Mr. McClung has wrote more honestly than most. It was refreshing to read and reflect back on my own first few years of teaching experience. I can recall many of the same feelings Mr. McClung has written about.

1 comment: